अध्याय १५ :- तत्त्वंXV Tattvam - Unborn Self or Brahman
Impressed but not through teaching, Ashtavakra relentlessly points to the vast emptiness of Self.
॥ अष्टावक्र उवाच ॥
सात्त्विक बुद्धीचा पुरुष थोडयाशा उपदेशानेंच कृतार्थ होतो. पण संसारासक्त, असद्बुद्धीचा पुरुष आयुष्यभर जिज्ञासु असूनही पुन्हा पुन्हा मोह पावतो व मुक्तीला मुकतो. ॥१॥
1. While a person of pure intelligence may achieve the goal by the most casual of instructions, another may seek knowledge all one's life and still remain bewildered.
2. Liberation is indifference to the objects of the senses. Bondage is love of the senses. This is knowledge. Now do as you please.
3. This awareness of the truth makes an eloquent, clever and energetic person dumb, stupid and lazy, so it is avoided by those whose aim is enjoyment or praise.
4. You are not the body, nor is the body yours, nor are you the doer of actions nor the reaper of their consequences. You are eternally pure consciousness the witness, in need of nothing - so live happily.
5. Desire and anger are objects of the mind, but the mind is not yours, nor ever has been. You are choiceless awareness itself, unchanging - so live happily.
6. Recognising oneself in all beings, and all beings in oneself, be happy, free from the sense of responsibility and free from preoccupation with me.
7. Your nature is the consciousness, in which the whole world wells up, like waves in the sea. That is what you are, without any doubt, so be free of disturbance.
8. Have faith, my dearest, have faith. Don't let yourself be deluded in this. You are yourself the Lord, whose property is knowledge- you are beyond natural causation.
9. The body invested with the senses stands still and comes and goes. You yourself neither come nor go, so why bother about them?
10. Let the body last to the end of the Age, or let it come to an end right now. What have you, who consist of pure consciousness, gained or lost?
11. Let the world-wave rise or subside according to its own nature in you, the great ocean. It is no gain or loss to you.
12. My dearest, you consist of pure consciousness, and the world is not separate from you. So who is to accept or reject it, and how, and why?
13. How can there be either birth, karma or responsibility in that one unchanging, peaceful, unblemished and infinite consciousness which is you?
14. Whatever you see, it is you alone manifest in it. How could bracelets, armlets and anklets be different from the gold?
15. Giving up such distinctions as 'That is what I am,' and 'I am not That', recognise that Everything is Self, and be, without distinction, and be happy.
16. It is through your ignorance that all this exists. In reality you alone exist. Apart from you there is no one within or beyond samsara.
17. Knowing that all this is an illusion, one becomes free of desire, pure receptivity and at peace, as if nothing existed.
18. Only one thing has existed, exists and will exist in the ocean of being. You have no bondage or liberation. Live happily and fulfilled.
19. Being pure consciousness, do not disturb your mind with thoughts of for/against. Be at peace and remain happily in yourself, the essence of joy.
20. Give up meditation completely and cling to nothing in your mind. You are free in your very nature, so what will you achieve by conceiving?